Adelay was 2 months old here.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Don't make me poke you in the eye...

Weeeell, first of all, I can't find the camera cable to connect to the laptop, so there will be no new pictures of Addy in this post. I know, I know - why even read this if there are no pictures? I felt I needed to check in though.

For my last weekend before I went back to work, Rick was going to whisk Adelay away for me so I could have a weekend to myself, child and husband free, like back in the good old days (j/k!). He was originally going to take her down to Missouri to his family reunion, but he couldn't get his brother or sister to go with him, and he didn't want to brave a 7 hour car trip with a one-year old on his own. So they both stayed here, which was fine until 10AM on Saturday. While attempting to put Adelay down for her nap, Rick was poked in the eye by our precious daughter. Not just a little poke - this was a straight-fingered, 3 Stoogesesque, hard jab that hit him square on. His whole face shut down for a little while (aren't reflexes grand?) leaving me with the darling for a little bit while he tried to pry open his eyes again. I have to say, I was deeply impressed by how Rick handled the whole thing. If it was me, I'm just gonna be honest and say that I would probably have lost it. Now, this is only because I was already on the verge, but, anyways, Rick was so good natured about it and was still trying to comfort her, and he was just being great. And his eye SWELLED up, so I know it hurt! The lesson of this story is beware Adelay's fingers or your eye could be next.

The training for the marathon is going well. I know we've only been doing it for a week and a half now, so this may be a premature statement, but I think... I think I might be starting to like jogging!!! GASP! You have to understand that before this, I H-A-T-E-D it. I was that person who would awkwardly jog for like 5 steps before quitting if I was in a hurry to get somewhere. I didn't do the Saturday 6AM jog this time because Rick and I decided that he would go (but he didn't), and I would stay home with Addy. I really meant to get my jog in that day, but I was a bit busy doing some things, and didn't manage to squeeze it in. And I missed it! I felt a longing to go jog, and I even thought about doing it Sunday (but didn't). So when I went for the jog on Monday, it felt great! And I was sooo surprised! I hope this keeps up, especially now that work has started again for me.

Work is work. I feel blessed to have a job and that I actually love my job. It feels a little strange going back this year, though. It's just different than it has been in the past. No "new year tingles". Meh. I do love teaching, though, and I think this year will be great. Addy will be bouncing around between Rick, my dad, and Mamiyagi. Her schedule depends on if and when Rick finds a contract job and his hours and location. Until he finds one, though, he'll be shuttling her around or taking care of her at home.

Well, that is really pretty much it! I gotta go to bed! I have to actually get up by alarm clock again tomorrow! On Monday, I swear I snoozed it at least 5 times. The first 3 times, I didn't understand that it was an alarm clock that was going off. I might need to invest in a caffeine drip.

No comments:

Post a Comment